Thursday, February 23, 2006

Good Knight...

You know, just when I was starting to think that I was getting a handle on this teaching thing... just when I thought that maybe, just maybe, these apathetic adolescents were starting to listen... just when I started to hope that maybe I was getting through to them.......

Last night, I was marking some homework, and in the space allotted for the teacher's name, one student had written, "Sir David Fork."

Now, I found it strange enough to begin with, that by taking on this teaching job, I had suddenly been knighted (although sometimes I feel I'll have deserved it in the end). It's disconcerting to be referred to as "Sir David," and makes me feel that I should somehow be out battling mythical beasts and competing in upcoming jousting tournaments. But now, to discover that one of my students has, after two full months, thought my family was named after an eating utensil, really gets my tines in a twist, if you will.

Sir David Fork, knight of the round dinner table, proponent of culinary Etiquette, arch enemy of the uncouth, hand-eating, Earl of Sandwich. Oh what manner of adventures await him?

7 Comments:

At 5:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sigh... I never get any credit... I am the unsung hero, the unthanked muse...*dramatic hand-to-forhead gesture*

 
At 8:49 PM, Blogger Abbas Halai said...

Bridgekeeper: Stop! Who would cross the Bridge of Death must answer me these questions three, ere the other side he see.
Launcelot: Ask me the questions, bridgekeeper. I am not afraid.
Bridgekeeper: What... is your name?
Launcelot: My name is 'Sir Launcelot of Camelot'.
Bridgekeeper: What... is your quest?
Launcelot: To seek the Holy Grail.
Bridgekeeper: What... is your favourite colour?
Launcelot: Blue.
Bridgekeeper: Right. Off you go.
Launcelot: Oh, thank you. Thank you very much.
Robin: That's easy!
Bridgekeeper: Stop! Who approacheth the Bridge of Death must answer me these questions three, ere the other side he see.
Robin: Ask me the questions, bridgekeeper. I'm not afraid.
Bridgekeeper: What... is your name?
Robin: 'Sir Robin of Camelot'.
Bridgekeeper: What... is your quest?
Robin: To seek the Holy Grail.
Bridgekeeper: What... is the capital of Assyria?
[pause]
Robin: I don't know that! Auuuuuuuugh!
Bridgekeeper: Stop! What... is your name?
Galahad: 'Sir Galahad of Camelot'.
Bridgekeeper: What... is your quest?
Galahad: I seek the Grail.
Bridgekeeper: What... is your favourite colour?
Galahad: Blue. No, yel-- auuuuuuuugh!
Bridgekeeper: Hee hee heh. Stop! What... is your name?
Arthur: It is 'Arthur', King of the Britons.
Bridgekeeper: What... is your quest?
Arthur: To seek the Holy Grail.
Bridgekeeper: What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?
Arthur: What do you mean? An African or European swallow?
Bridgekeeper: Huh? I-- I don't know that! Auuuuuuuugh!
Bedevere: How do know so much about swallows?
Arthur: Well, you have to know these things when you're a king, you know.

 
At 8:52 PM, Blogger Slippy said...

Sir David, just like Sir Elton John I supposed?

 
At 8:46 PM, Blogger Saira said...

The last sentence was so good, I'm totally quoting you on my blog. :D

 
At 10:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You work as a teacher in Pakistan?

 
At 1:51 AM, Blogger Pia K. said...

Oh brave Sir David, in your noble quest to slay the dragon of illiteracy you have chosen a battlefield populated by the kids of rich folks, worse Pakistani rich folks, who are an entire breed apart. The only name these kids need to know correctly is their daddy's!!! So, oh beknighted one, three out of four letters in two months really ain't that bad! Take heart and go forth unashamedly!

 
At 1:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Come on Mr Laptop, time for a new blog... your fans await.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


eXTReMe Tracker