Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Dave's response to Troy's response to Dave's response to the Oscars...

I too did not see the whole show, due to power-outages, satellite-outages, and my general inability to sit through any Oscar show. But still, that won’t stop me from responding to Troy… Two guys arguing about a show we didn’t watch… classic.

Chris Rock: I didn’t see the monologue, I heard it was funny, but went on too long and lost its edge. By the second half of the show, he looked like he just wanted to get it over with… like a guy who knows that the audience isn’t with him. I didn’t think he did a bad job, it just wasn’t interesting.

Hilary Swank: Total disagreement here. I think that was perhaps one of the worst speeches I have ever heard. I generally don’t like the commonplace "I want to thank this person and this person and this person and this person" type of speech anyway, I’d rather hear something interesting about the film, or an anecdote of some kind. Otherwise, it’s just so dull. . I thought having won once before might help, but Hilary Swank was all over the place. And honestly, you don’t need to thank your lawyers, send them a fruit basket or something.
Don’t get me wrong, I like her, but come to think of it, other than these two roles, I can’t think of anything else she’s done that I liked. No, come to think of it, I just can’t think of anything else that she’s done, period.

Carlos: This was a tough one. But it had to be said. I didn’t think he brought anything to that song at all. I think he actually distracted from the song itself… I would rather have had an acoustic-flamenco thing going on there. I love Carlos, he’s a legend, but lately, I find all he does is walk on, add some licks to someone else’s tune. Not that it’s bad, or I could do better, but that it’s always the same. Plus, no matter what he’s playing, he always looks like his guitar is electrocuting his groin. But I guess that’s passion baby.

Oscars in the audience: I thought it was goofy. Like a town hall meeting or something. And it was all the lesser awards. Oh here you are, ah, don’t bother getting up, it's not like you're best actor or anything. I thought Chris Rock was funny when he said that next year they’ll be giving them out in the parking lot. And yeah, the line-up awards were even stranger. You’re right, it was like star-search or American Idol or something… "You two, in the back row, join me at the mic, I’ll let you know if you win an Oscar… after the break…"

Foxx: I stand by the speech. I think it was the best of the big award winners. No back flips no, but he said all the right things, and the bit about his grandma seemed heartfelt and funny too. I didn’t see the Globes (except Selma’s) so if it was a complete repeat speech, then I take back some of my admiration.

Clint: Total agreement. The man is cool and always will be.

Synopsis? – Still can’t change my opinion, what I saw was pretty dull.

5 Comments:

At 8:41 PM, Blogger mark said...

Just cause it will annoy both of you:

my problem w/ Swank was that, while Halle Berry I'm-so-overcome-I-can't-speak speeches are pat and annoying, Swank's seemed excruciatingly rehearsed, which also irks me. And then, even despite that, she kept losing her place, which is way she did a shout out to her publicist as they played her off the air. Classy! Plus, her dress was ugly.

 
At 8:47 PM, Blogger mark said...

Oh - and Troy. I'm gonna have to agree w/ Dave from a purely did-he-enhance-the-song position about Carlos. But Dave? Since the song sucked, I'm gonna go w/ Troy. Never tell Carlos to quit it.

Also, it should be noted that the "secret Carlos Santana scale progression" pretty much requires some Latin beat to work correctly, so when Carlos is forced to play along w/ the bland Oscar orchestra that is only hinting at Latin rhythms in a really trite arrangement, there's no interplay to refract off of Carlo's tried and true sweep patterns. Or, in other words, the whole performance sucked, but it ain't simply because Carlos is losing his grip on sublety. And, oh yeah: shut up, Antonio!

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger The Artsaypunk said...

Yes, you are correct sir. I hereby rescind my comment, as I should have gone with "Carlos and Antonio... shut it."

The agreement, I believe, is that this performance, although winning the best oscar for song, was terrible.

I remember when someone asked Eliot Smith about losing the best song oscar to Celine Dione. He said, "I didn't think the Oscars were about music... but come to think of it, I don't think the Oscars about movies either."

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger The Artsaypunk said...

Yes, you are correct sir. I hereby rescind my comment, as I should have gone with "Carlos and Antonio... shut it."

The agreement, I believe, is that this performance, although winning the best oscar for song, was terrible.

I remember when someone asked Eliot Smith about losing the best song oscar to Celine Dione. He said, "I didn't think the Oscars were about music... but come to think of it, I don't think the Oscars about movies either."

 
At 12:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

About Hilary.......

She hasn't been in a lot of movies, she's been really picky....and it's paying off! No Catwoman for her :-)

FYI Dave....she was in the ever popular Beverly Hills 90210 as Ian's girlfriend for a brief time. She went from that to Boys don't cry and an Oscar....not bad.

I thought that her dress was great...soooooo sexy. Business up front, party in the back!

Great rants boys!

Shannon.

Oh...and should you need some doublemint for the twins (Selma and Penelope) I can offer an unlimited supply.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


eXTReMe Tracker