Wednesday, April 06, 2005

An Open Letter to my Elementary School Classmates...

To my classmates of Grades 3,4,5 and 6,

Remember when the teachers ran out of ideas on a Friday afternoon and they would have us play "7-Up"? Remember that game? We had to put our heads on our desks and close our eyes while seven of our classmates snuck about, tapping us on the head. And when we were tapped we had to put our thumb up (or down, I don’t remember). When all was said and done, we had to guess which person had tapped us. If we were right, we got to be on the head-tapping team. Remember that? Remember how excited we were to play such a ludicrous game? Wasn’t it just asking for a head-lice epidemic? Remember how if a cute girl had picked you, you’re heart skipped a beat? Ah, the halcyon days of youth.

Anyway, this is just to say… I cheated. Well, I often cheated. I tried to look at your shoes, and for that, I am truly sorry. I doubt I was the only one, but that is hardly an excuse for the corruption of innocence. I hearby renounce any stake I may have held over any Friday afternoon 7-Up championships of the world.

PS – I didn’t cheat at fishes and whales… that game was awesome.

Sincerely,

David J. Ford

6 Comments:

At 3:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was in your class and yes I remember that game. What was the whole point of it again?

 
At 10:17 AM, Blogger The Artsaypunk said...

Exactly.

 
At 11:25 PM, Blogger Wren said...

Ahh, good old 7-UP. The only time waster named after a soft-drink. I remember playing this many-a-time. This was far more enjoyable than watching, "Le Retour de Batman" for the 10,000th time.

 
At 9:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

7-up yes good, but fishes and whales well that was my game.

good memories....

SD

 
At 10:49 AM, Blogger The Artsaypunk said...

I agree, fishes and whales was amazing. And I have a feeling it was a pretty selectively "Maritime" school game. Although, my friends in Western Canada seemed to have a variation, but I don't remember what it was called, "horses and ponies" or something. However, what I think gave "fishes and whales" the edge over other gym-class games was the addition of the stationary "octupi" or "sea anemone" clause. What a fantastic game.

And no one has a damn clue what we're talking about.

 
At 2:57 AM, Blogger Slippy said...

Fishes and Whales... the name is familair, I just can't remember the rules and regulations.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


eXTReMe Tracker