Monday, April 04, 2005

Mujhay Buhat Pasand Hai...

So yesterday I went to McDonald’s in Pakistan for the first time. They were happy to see me I think. I guess it’s just one of those things you do when you’re travelling; go to McDonald’s in a foreign country. I have to admit that I was disappointed when I first arrived in the Land of the Pure, walked out of the airport, and the first thing that struck me (after the wall of pure heat) was the huge McDonalds restaurant across from the terminal. I was hoping for something slightly more cultural, but what can you do?

Yesterday, we only had time to drive through, so I can’t report on the full fast-food, dine-in experience. But the drive through was very nice. Everyone was very polite, and all the staff inside were wearing uniforms that said, "I’m lovin’ it" in big, bold letters. I thought that I had perhaps never seen sarcasm expressed so well on a garment before. I also loved our server’s polite diction: "Here it is, your fries." And "Here are you, your meals."

We ordered two McArabia’s combos because honestly, how could we not? Any attempt that McDonald’s makes to be cultural I find particularly hilarious, especially with the ubiquitous Mc-prefix. The McArabia is basically just a pita with two round frisbees of that "grilled," press-board chicken we all know and love, sandwiched in there with some lettuce tomato and garlic mayo. Picture a chicken Donair of some sort. The whole thing was about as authentic as Pakistan is Arabic, so I guess it all works out. I was only mad because a billboard on my way to work each day assures me that I will get a free key-chain with every McArabia purchased. No such luck for me. All my keys lie naked and key-chain-less, without a culturally ironic fastener fashioned in the form of the great capitalist symbol of the golden arches. Oh well, I would be more upset if I actually had any keys.

Oh yeah, and if you’re wondering, two combos cost about $8, so it’s actually a fairly expensive place to eat here.

Oh yes, and if you were curious, it still tastes like shit.

2 Comments:

At 2:20 PM, Blogger watercolor said...

damned if i treat you to lunch again! hmph.

 
At 2:59 PM, Blogger The Artsaypunk said...

Are you kidding! You provided me with blog-material... and a stomach ache. Keep up the good work!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


eXTReMe Tracker