Thursday, March 17, 2005

Live Life

You know, my last post got me thinking about life. But not life in the conventional, "What the hell am I doing?" kind of way. My tongue in cheek title jogged vivid memories of playing "The Game of Life" at my Aunt Sharon's house. Remember that game? How bizarre that was. I guess in a way it predated, by several decades, the current obsession for role-playing games and being something you're not.

There we were, looking down on our lives, making the tough choices. Fork in the road: Are you going to go to university or choose a career? Money now or money later? Buy a house, rent an apartment? It made you feel in control of things as you cruised around the board with your plastic peg wife and kids in your tiny plastic pink car. But at the same time, it was so depressing. You're whole life could change with a roll of the dice. The gods staring down, throwing your life around in some demented backgammon gamble. Children were rarely a choice, you just kind of lucked into them. There was so much chance involved. And of course, the winner of this American Dream board game was the guy with the most money at the end. Or was it? Or was it just the guy who got to the end first? That doesn't seem right. Why should you win for being the first to die. Or was it the first to retire? I don't remember. I know Jay, the board game / game show expert, will help me out with this one.

Although, thinking back, I realize that most of the "choices" I made in that board game, time after time, are similar to the choices I made in the Big Life. Education, travel, wife, kids... Well, of course, I'm not married, and I don't have any kids (none that I acknowledge anyway), but you know what I mean. So maybe I should find a copy of that silly game, roll the dice and find out what comes next.

Come on Double Sixes!

1 Comments:

At 10:33 AM, Blogger The Artsaypunk said...

Ah, I knew you'd come through for me. I'm disappointed that I forgot about the spinner. I will have to be satisfied that if the spinner was broken you could use a die if you had to.

I figured that the winner would be the one with the most money... I mean, how else can you be happy?

I have no memory of the "bet it all" millionaire Tycoon option, interesting though, that your wife and kids are included in the wager. But, as the man says:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;
....
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And-which is more-you'll be a Man, my son!

You may be a man... but you'd suck at the Game of Life.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


eXTReMe Tracker