Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Narrow Band Connection...

Well, after finally getting back on top of the blog after my return from the Dark Continent, the fates have conspired against me again. It seems the entire Internet backbone for Pakistan has gone out, but to be fair, we should probably assume that it had a few slipped disks to begin with. Anyway, some fiber optic cable between Dubai and Karachi has failed, and as you’ve probably guessed, it’s located at the bottom of the sea. And of course, the sea is fairly choppy this time of year, and whatever ship or sub or whathaveyou they need is docked in Singapore, so no one really knows how long it’ll be before things are back up and running at more or less full capacity. There is a satellite backup system, but in typical fashion there is not enough bandwidth to function properly. Round these parts, most backup plans involve intently discussing how a back up plan should really be established.

The worst part for me is that I can’t waste all my time at work writing blogs. I’ll actually have to accomplish something instead of being a free-loading token Canadian.

So, I’ve managed to hobble together an old satellite dish, a transistor radio, a harmonium, and my cell-phone with some baling twine and duct-tape. I’ve had to power it with a donkey walking in circles up on the roof, and the stink of manure is getting to me, but I’ve managed to get through to make this post, so it’s worth it.

Long story short – the blog shall suffer again. Poor old long suffering blog. Stay tuned.

3 Comments:

At 6:29 PM, Blogger Abbas Halai said...

the world would never have gotten this far if it wasn't for duct tape.

and a harmonium?!? well done m'lad.

 
At 8:22 PM, Blogger Slippy said...

I read a news article about that and the first thing I thought was there won't be any updates to your blog.

 
At 8:42 PM, Blogger Abbas Halai said...

oh and speaking of duct tape, here's how to repair a train with duct tape.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


eXTReMe Tracker