Friday, December 30, 2005

Gora-Vision

Yes, that’s right. Dave is on TV. The boob is on the tube. The first episode of my show aired last week on national television. Now, I have to admit that before I left, when people asked me what the hell I was planning to do in Pakistan, I certainly did not foresee acting in shoddy television productions. Wasn’t exactly on the radar, as they say. Still, I’m never adverse to the ways the winds blow me (or anyone else for that matter), so I’m just going with the flow.

But you know, it is a rush seeing yourself on television, no matter what it is. And honestly, the show wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. Don’t get me wrong, it was still pretty terrible, but happily, it was not the complete catastrophic destruction of all things good and natural in this world that I thought it might be. I also happen to have the inside scoop that the episodes do get better… marginally. I took over writing around the fifth episode, so I guess I have to get behind the show at some point there. In the meantime, I was pretty confident that not many people would have caught the episode. But sure enough, within days, I had aunties and co-workers stopping and saying, "I saw you on TV!" Usually, I responded with a simple, "I’m sorry." But even though I’m living proof that you only have to be in the right place at the right time to be on Television (oh, and being white helps), people still have an inherent respect of someone on the screen, no matter the quality.

But I guess that’s where things have to start. You put some shows out there, you make some money, you make a better show the next time, and then gradually you’ll have a solid base to work with. And it’s cool to be a part of that. But this morning, I had a sobering thought. When I return to the school to teach next week, I know for damn sure that one of those kids will have seen the show. I’ll never hear the end of it. I don’t know why that hadn’t occurred to me before, but I’m going to have to face that one down.

And now… the only thing to do is to start scheming for my own show. Look out George, here I come... And as it happens, I’m already here.

2 Comments:

At 2:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww come ON, David, give yourself some credit! You got the TV role through your stand up routine through your blog (which was admittedly more frequently updated in those days)! Jeez!

 
At 8:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mister! You better get hold of a VCR and a videotape somewhere and get that thing back to us in New Brunswick. This, I have to see!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


eXTReMe Tracker