Friday, December 23, 2005

Going to Cashmere…

This just in…

Boy do I have news. It’s incredible really, and I don’t actually expect anyone to believe me; truly, I can hardly believe it myself. On the International Scale of Basic Credibility, it would rate slightly above the tooth-fairy but certainly below the moon-landing. Yes folks, here it is… I, David J. Ford, wore a sweater.

Yes, that’s right. For the first time in Karachi: A sweater. The Canadian in Pakistan wore a nice, cosy, little woollen number. We’re talking about the very same Canadian who lost forty pounds just by sweating.

I can see the headlines now: Profuse Sweater Prefers Sweater

Yes, I was set to attend a late-night, rooftop barbecue a few weeks back and on a whim, I decided to pull out the sweater that had been conveniently taking up a sweater-sized space in my suitcase for so many moons. And I have to admit, I was completely comfortable. Of course, it helps that Karachi is currently mired in the deep, dark days of winter. That six-week stretch when the mercury dips below 30 degrees, the air conditioners take a rest after their ten-month terms of service, and we all talk about how fantastic the weather is.

So I wonder just how much I’ve acclimatised? I have been here for over a year. I have lost a lot of weight. Will I freeze my ass on my triumphant return to the Great White North? It’s true, I have found it slightly chilly lately, even though it’s probably 22 degrees out there. Granted, it’s actually colder indoors during the winter in Karachi than it is in Canada. Hard to believe, but true. The buildings are all made of concrete, with high ceilings, and designed to stay cool. Having a heater installed for the two weeks you might appreciate it is about as sensible as having central air-conditioning in New Brunswick.

Unfortunately, while Canada has four seasons, Karachi only has 1.2, and it won’t be long before winter will once again be replaced by the sweltering, shirt-drenching season we like to call, "The rest of the year," which is about as comfortable as chilling out inside a Dutch Oven (both types). Which reminds me… what the hell am I doing in this climate? Oh wait, that’s what everyone asks me…

For now though, I will be out there, soaking up all the winter for as long as it lasts. I love it. Who knows? maybe the sweater will make another appearance.

1 Comments:

At 8:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's next? A blazer?!? By the way, when ARE you coming home? Only 'cause we miss ya...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


eXTReMe Tracker