Monday, June 20, 2005

Dig it...

As best I can remember from Kampala’s Capital FM radio:

Woman: We told him not to Dig!
Man: But he would not listen.
Woman: We told him to watch out for power lines!
Man: But he just kept digging.
Woman: We told him to check with the power company!
Man: But he would not listen, he just kept digging.
Woman: (sighs) Ah, that one is dead now.

...

It seems to me that for an informercial to be considered effective in Uganda, someone has to die. At least in this case the unfortunate man, so intent on his digging, is the focus of the ad. I’m still baffled by the guy who is celebrating because his girlfriend died of AIDS but he didn’t. But you know, I remember our local NB Power company, used to have commercials on TV with kids trying to climb on electrical towers, and guys cutting down trees (or digging) without checking with the power company first. Those would always end with the screen going to inverse, skeletal black and white and resound with this sickening electrical shock sound. It used to scare the crap out of me as a kid. So I guess that isn’t all that different.

2 Comments:

At 6:19 PM, Blogger Slippy said...

"When the lines are down don't you hang around" -- Remember that one with the singing lightening bug?

 
At 9:41 AM, Blogger The Artsaypunk said...

Louis the Lightening Bug... Wow, I can't believe you remembered that.... I can't believe I've got that safety song stuck in my head.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


eXTReMe Tracker