Friday, May 20, 2005

Signs, signs, everywhere is...

So I'm not on Safari afterall. That means more blogging. This blog is like a mistress, except more demanding, (as if I know what I'm talking about). But seriously, here I am in the middle of Africa. I just walked from my sister's village school, out to the road, flagged down some guy in a car and drove 45 minutes to the town of Mbarara, pretty much just so I could check the blog. Had some other errands as well, but guess where the priorities lie... God, I'm pathetic.

So, now I'm here, but what do I write about? Well, I love signs, as you know. I saw one yesterday for a barber shop that said "HAMS: Yo Hair Masta!" I thought that was pretty sharp. Back in Kampala, there was a sign outside a clothing store that said "Authentic Tuxedoes for Sale for Pretty, Affordable Prices." I think someone needs a lesson in marketing there. By far the most amusing though, was a billboard outside the Taxi Park in Kampala. It said, "Fit Your Family in a Taxi: Family Planning is the way of the future." Which is great, but it shows a picture of a family piling into a mini-bus taxi. Those things hold 14 to 20 people! There's some effective family planning for you. But still, I have to say that a family planning campaign is a courageous thing for a government to do. It's gotta be tough, since George Bush has denied extra funding to countries that support family planning and abortion clinics. As if advocating birth-control is the same as sticking pitch forks in babies, but oh well, I don't really want to get into it.

Oh yeah, and on the way here, I also saw two guys running down the side of the road, in the middle of nowhere, with a live chicken in each hand. Interesting. Made me think of the old Calgary chain, "Chicken on the Go."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


eXTReMe Tracker